Monday 30 May 2011

DIY Hay Bales

I wanted some round hay bales for games set both in Winter of '79 and Alcovia. Anyone who has played the farm mission in Ghost Recon on the X-Box will know the importance of the bales. So they are a must have.

Harburn Hobbies sell packs of five OO scale resin, painted hay bales for around £8, but we're talking a tenner including postage. So I thought to myself, how hard can it be to make my own?

Mark's Homemade Hay Bales

I already had a block of DAS Clay - long story I won't bore you with - so set down to making my own hay bales and it couldn't be simpler. I used a Humbrol paint tin as a template, cut the clay in strips and then placed the paint tin on top. Using a butter knife (don't tell Heather), I cut out the shape using the sides of the tin as a guide for the knife. It was then a case of using a cocktail stick to score in the hay effect. In all between 6-8 minutes per bale.

I'm really chuffed with the result. By the fourth I was a bit bored, but had learnt how to get a near perfect round shape. Plus there's enough DAS in a standard packet to make up to 10-12 bales.

Cheers
Mark

5 comments:

  1. You could stretch DAS a bit by using a tinfoil or dowel core. Might keep the weight down to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look good..DIY is always best...especially as you save money..
    Cheers
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea, they look very effective!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys. I've used the scraps to create a rough and ready silage/manure pile. A common sight in farmyards and fields. Adds just that little bit more cover.

    Anyway, got some tracks and fencing to finish for Alcovia.....

    Cheers
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good post and good idea. Well done.

    Regards Paul

    ReplyDelete